Friday, May 27, 2016

Last Day at the Flight School

5/26/16

Today was the last day at the flight school, we ended with one more class with the students, one final lecture, and then a small graduation ceremony. Our group was a little smaller today because it seems quite a couple of us are getting a bad stomach ache, and poor Melanie has been out with a fever. However the day must go on and I think today was my favorite day with the students. We started with student presentations on the different major cities in Peru and through out they showed us different samples of culture from videos on traditional dances to having cooked a number of different dishes for us to try. It was easy and fun and I could definitely see the excitement of the students when they spoke English and they could tell we understood them. When it was our turn to talk, we split the students into groups and talked to them about one US student to four Peruvian students. My group was an energetic group of boys and one girl all about the age of 14. We were supposed to talk about major US cities but because they did not know much English vocabulary we settled for whatever they felt was easier to communicate. This was the part that made today the best because the students really loved talking to me. I would explain what I meant in English and in Spanish so that they understood, and then they would answer my questions with the words I had just taught them. They day ended with a graduation celebration where they handed each of the US students a certificate signed by the principle. I am really glad we got the opportunity to communicate with these kids. I have always had a passion for communication and education. Its the number one factor for helping a person have a successful life by way of establishing a solid base. While I wasn't providing that much information I definitely think I aided in getting them excited about learning and gaining confidence in speaking in another language.

That afternoon was also eventful. Immediately after we got back Alex and I got massages which were top notch. They place was recommended to us by our grammar teacher Carmen. For about 40 /s we got a half hour massage each. I'll definitely be returning in the near future, note to self remember to ask for Maria. Afterwords I met up with Daria, Carson, and Annie to see X-Men: Apocalypse (Subbed, not dubbed) in the theater near Parque Kennedy. Overall it was a great movie and I had fun with them after just chatting. I found out that while I still live the farthest away Annie lives very close to me and so at least I have someone in my general area. I think I forgot to mention that I lost my contacts. I also managed to fix that during the day. Over all these three experiences were so important to me because it reinforced the idea that I am able to live and function here. That everything I could possibly need is accessible and even though I know conversational Spanish I know enough to live which is definitely good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment