Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The Return to High School PE

5/25/16

I think I'm out of shape. How do I know this? Because today was our Physical Exercise day at the Air Force school and I could hardly keep up with the 16 and 17 year old students. Before our lecture we attended gym class with different sections. My group was other Sam, Annie, Austin, Michelle, and Vicky. We started by doing a standard set of exercises and stretches to loosen up, did a couple laps around their track. If it was not for being in a country where everyone speaks Spanish I would have had some sub-serious anxiety attacks. Little did I know that they were right around the corner but I will get to that latter. After the track we played a couple catch games and finished the period with a couple rounds of volleyball. It was really fun getting to run around after all the standing and sitting in museums and class from last week. A needed change of pace for sure.

Our lecture today was definitely my favorite to date. It was about the different causes that pushed Peru to rebel from under the Spanish oppression and become its own independent nation. The test that went with it was very helpful in guiding me through the lecture and it made understanding the powerpoint much easier because I could read the information helping add context to the verbal information which could be hard to keep track of. The instructor also found a way to connect it to the American revolution and note comparisons which as a history nerd I really liked.

Our day ended with a soccer game, one girls and one guys. This is what I was referring to earlier, because during grade school I was deeply scared of team sports. However since then I have grown and this was a perfect chance for me to make my return to the field and show my stuff. The girls game was first and it was so exciting to watch. Hannah and Ally were clearly the best by far and scored us two points ending in a tie. The boys were next and it was probably the first time since soccer camp in fourth grade I've ever seriously kicked a soccer ball. It was all a flash and I wasn't sure where exactly I was supposed to be but at the very least I didn't ruin our game. I probably kicked the ball twice before my time was up and I took a seat on the sidelines. In the end I can say I had a lot of fun. It was a great way to end the day and even if no one else recognized it I think I did a good job. Oh and just so any readers aren't left hanging, the Peruvians won.

No comments:

Post a Comment