Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Arriving in Cusco

6/12/16

Today we flew out of Lima. It was bittersweet saying goodbye to mom getting back into the van to take us to the Airport. We arrived to the airport about 11am for a 2pm flight. I learned an interesting traveler tip for everyone out there on the Internet. If you leave the terminal section of the Lima airport after you go through security, to get back through you need to pay a fee of about 40 soles or 11 US dollars. Learned that one the hard way but what can I say I’m addicted to Starbucks.

The flight was uneventful or rather; if it were I wouldn’t know because I slept through almost all of it. Flying into Cusco was quite exciting; looking over the rainbow colored Andes Mountains it was quite easy to forget that I’m still in the same country as the humid and flat Miraflores. I liken it to flying over the Rockies for anyone who has travelled over the Western USA. 

From the moment we stepped off the plane at about 3pm I could feel the change in altitude. Apparently the effects were different for everyone but for me it was a splitting headache and a sudden sleepiness. Locally we were greeted with a huge basket of the local remedy, chew on some coca leaves or make some coca tea. I’d give the leaves a 7/10 on effectiveness and a 2/10 on taste.


The rest of the day was free for us to do whatever we wanted. I didn’t get to see much of the city because by the time we got to the Hotel I was ready to faint from the headache so I crawled into bed and didn’t leave till 8 the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment