Monday, June 6, 2016

Sick Day

6/6/16

I think I spent too much time in the river yesterday, or too much time under the air conditioning in the bus, because I woke up with a serious cold this morning. The result, I pulled myself together enough to let Monica know I wouldn’t be in school and then continued to pass out through a collection of coughs and sneezes until about 11am. At which point my host mother knocked on my door and asked if I was alive.  I showed her that I was still here and we enjoyed a slow morning breakfast prepared by our housekeeper Marta, who comes in Mondays and Wednesdays to help with the housing duties. After breakfast my host mother happened to have two tablets of acetaminophen and some tea ready so it was back to bed for me this time with an extra blanket.

I got up again around 1 to my host mother asking me if I would be ok with moving about the house a bit so that Marta could clean my room and the house as a whole. I ended up taking a walk to a nearby central commercial that my host mother recommended to me about a 2 blocks from the house. I ate lunch at a ceviche place and got a cup of coffee at a café owned by her friend. I returned to the house around 3 for some much needed descansyo feeling much better than I had that morning.

As our time here is drawing to a close and today being the last Monday I think it is important to write a whole post dedicated to the wonderful person that is my host mother. I’m sure I have mentioned her in other posts but there is nothing I can write in this blog that can fully explain how much I appreciate everything she does and how amazing of a person she is. Her name is Nora Delgado and she lives on the east side of Miraflores about a mile away from El Sol. She works as a distributer and seller of olives and olive oil from a farm outside of Lima. She is also a mother to my university aged host brother Álvaro, and a home owner to both me and Álvaro’s girl friend who spends multiple nights at the house a week. Our household has on occasion two animals in it a tiny puppy and a hamster that occasionally runs around the floor in a ball.

Some morning Nora prepares breakfast for me and other morning it is Marta. Meanwhile dinner is always ready in the late afternoon or night when I get home, left on the table with a note from my host mother saying “Samuel and “Microwave”. Weekdays it is usually something simple like chicken from the store or pasta, with the weekends being ceviche or something else fancy. There are always fresh olives on the table along with salt, pepper, and any kind of topping needed. On occasion Nora will eat with me and we will have some simple small talk about eat others day and how tired we both are. The conversations change from the current political climate of Peru to her family’s feud over who owns portions of the olive farm, to the differences between different countries and her past occupants as a host home. Nora works hard to keep her family in lively hood and I can see it from the amount of small signs of wealth that are present usually in the form electronics that belong to Álvaro. I’ve been fighting an urge to call her Mom since day one when I asked her what she preferred to be called but it wasn’t until today that I think she called me hijo or son after waking up around 11. As someone who was born with two fathers the concept of a mom is very new to me and I’ve always wanted to understand it. Nora has shown me what a perfect mother looks like as she balances the many tasks of taking care of all the people in her house as well as balancing all of her responsibilities. She is also perfect because she seems to give me the same trust and treats me in the same way that my own parents do. She constantly asks me to turn off the lights but also lets me come and go as I please as long as I lock the door. When I ask her where I can go to buy something she’ll give it a long hard thought and then reply with her the best answer she knows. When I’m running late she usually calls to ask if I want dinner laid out or not. There is no way to fully appreciate her kindness and I hope that I get the opportunity to keep in touch after my time here is done.


No comments:

Post a Comment